Please submit 3-4 poems (in a single document), 1-2 pieces of flash fiction under 1,000 words each (in a single document), or 1-2 pieces of creative nonfiction under 1,000 words each (in a single document).
Peruse our latest issues, and read our website's "About Us" and "Submission Guidelines + FAQ's" sections, before sending us your work:
Your best writing deserves an audience, and it is our mission to provide our readers with a powerful, focused, advertising-free literary experience that transports them: one that challenges them intellectually and moves them emotionally. We have over 45,000 readers in 145 countries.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to submit.
- We only publish previously unpublished work, written primarily in English.
- We publish accomplished, well established authors side-by-side with fresh, emerging voices.
- You can submit as many times as you like, as often as you like, before midnight (CST) on August 31st, 2019.
- We believe that every writer's submission deserves several cycles of deep-reading, real-time discussion, careful consideration, and a prompt, respectful, response detailing what we appreciate about it (regardless of whether we accept or decline it).
- Our average response time is 9 days. Writers have grown accustomed to waiting 3-6 months for publications to accept or decline their submissions. With us, those days are over. You are our priority.
- Do not include a cover letter or bio anywhere within your Submittable form, or your submission itself. Any submission that includes either a cover letter or a bio will be declined. Sky Island Journal solicits high quality work from writers with diverse backgrounds—from traditional academic settings, as well as the rural and urban, the domestic and international. We accomplish this by not allowing writers to include cover letters or bios with their submissions. We respect your writing enough to experience it on its own merits. This creates a refreshing challenge for well-established professionals who have been favored by literary journals in the past because of their credentials, while simultaneously encouraging emerging voices: writers, young and old, who would normally be rejected out-of-hand by many literary journals because of their lack of pedigree. If we accept your work, we’ll be anxious to get to know who you are. We do not, however, want that information influencing our decisions beforehand. If your writing finds a home with us, we’ll solicit a full bio and author photo to be featured alongside your work.
- If your Submittable account automatically populates our form with either a cover letter or a bio, be sure to delete it before sending. Any submission that includes either a cover letter or a bio will be declined.
- All submissions are nonrefundable.
- While we accept and encourage simultaneous submissions, you must contact us immediately, via email, if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Sky Island Journal acquires First North American Serial Rights and First Electronic Rights for all accepted work. Upon publication, all rights revert to the author. We request that any future publications of the work recognize Sky Island Journal as the original publisher.